blog header

blog header

Monday 15 February 2016

Reversable terrain- the paved side

Despite the predictions of the weather men, the sun came out on valentine's day so obviously it was a good time to get into the garden with the spray paint and work on my scenery!
 
 
You may remember the golf course from a couple of months back (here) and my scenery for Legends of British Steampunk at Leicester Space Centre. Well I've finally finished cobbling the reverse sides of the golf course (swamp, ok? It's a swamp) so it's time to get some paint on.
 

I started by putting on a couple of coats of cheap PVA to protect the Depron foam from the aerosol, then gave all the modules a blast with cheap black spray. Pound land had both PVA and matt black primer so this stage cost me a grand total of £3.
 

I then did a quick drybrush with some grey, picked out a few details and glued and flocked the areas which are going to be allotments and a circular park area. The water areas got painted in green using a couple of different shades then got a layer of gloss yacht varnish.


They're rough, and not by any means finished, nor am I very happy with how they look so far. I'm going with a City of Lost Children/Dark City feel to this board so it needs a lot more texture and variation but this is an ok start. Next is to take each board individually and paint in the detail- picking out a few slabs in different colours, adding staining and lots of washes and then putting some greenery between the cracks, anything to break up the expanses, although they won't be so noticeable when there's other terrain on them. I'm also planning to use some of the polyurethane resin I used on the swamp to add a bit of depth to the waterways, perhaps with a  light green ink in to give this kind of look:


Any advice on weathering the paving and getting some interest in there? I'm planning on using some varnishes to wash over the top and give a wet, shiny look as well as a variation in the browns but tips and pointers from all those of you with beautiful city/mordheim boards much appreciated!
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fimm McCool's

Fimm McCool's